To Yosemite

I woke up at 4:00 and went back to sleep until 6:00. Shari and Albert were sleeping soundly, so I laid in bed until 6:30. Then I got up and made a cup of coffee. Shari woke up around 7:15 and Albert shortly thereafter. Around 8:15 we went down for breakfast. Belgian waffles were the specialty of the house, so we each had one. I had mine with Nutella and banana. I really enjoyed it. We check out of the hotel a little after 9:00 and headed south to Yosemite.

From Lake Tahoe we followed CA-89 over the mountains. The ride was fantastic and beautiful. Not much fall color with all the conifers, but every now and again there would be a patch of Aspens with deep yellow leaves. It was really spectacular. After descending from the mountains, we drove for a long time through Hope Valley to Markleeville where we started to climb another mountain. Before descending we stopped at an overlook where you could see Mono Lake below. Very Beautiful. After Lee Vinings, CA we left US-395 for CA 120 which took us to and entrance to Yosemite National Park. We drove 59 miles along CA-120 to get to the main part of the park. The drive was spectacular. I know I’ve used the word “spectacular’ a lot, but I really don’t know another word to describe what we saw.

It was after 2:00 before we arrived at the main part of Yosemite NP. We drove down the main drag stopping near El Capitan to take pictures. We did a short hike to the bottom of Bridal Veil Falls. Everything is so beautiful it almost hard to process. We drove through the valley and then found a parking spot near the visitor center. We walked to the visitor’s center, but there wasn’t much to see there. We walked back to the car and stopped in a few shops along the way. Once back at the car, we drove out of the park and to our hotel.

The hotel was not very far outside the park. It was a little hard to find because it was tucked behind another hotel complex. We check in with Liz out hostess and unloaded the car. Since we skipped lunch, we decided to have an early dinner and walked over to the River restaurant that was near the hotel.

After dinner we went to the hotel in front of ours because they had a small shop with provisions. We bought a bottle of wine and a few souvenirs. We walked back to our hotel and when we arrived, Liz let us know she had cookies in the common area. We went upstairs to our room and dropped off a few things and then went downstairs and had cookies. Liz and Shari talked about what hikes we should do tomorrow.

We went back upstairs to our room and we all enjoyed the bottle of wine on the deck outside out room. The deck overlooks the Merced River. A full moon was rising over the mountain and it had a Halloween look to it. After we finished off the bottle of wine, Shari and I stayed outside for a little while discussing how fortunate we are that we can make this trip. We went inside and went to bed.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *